Old February 21st 06, 07:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default intel to kill pata

"bgd" wrote in message

I'm not sure if you can answer my next q....
I have sata ability now, and chose not to. I read and am (uncertain of
facts) that sata doesnt get it's advantage unless it is being run on a
pci-express chipset. Is it true?
If not, an accurate reliable answer is gonna send me to get some Sata
drives.
;o)

It is true and it isn't. It depends what advantage you're talking about.

AFAIC, the primary advantages of SATA right now are that the cable is
thinner, neater, and cleaner, and there's no issues with master/slave
configuration, detection, or slowdowns. You get those no matter what. If you
want SATA because it's faster or because it will make possible hub/switch
type configurations similar to USB, then you will not get those advantages
from every current SATA implementation.

All things being anywhere close to equal, you should prefer SATA now
because it's more future proof. I would not buy a new PATA device unless I
was going to install it on a machine that didn't have SATA ports and that I
didn't expect to be upgrading in the future. (Otherwise, I'd add SATA now.)

DS