Old August 11th 04, 09:27 PM
FrozenNorth

On this fine day Mimic tossed the following into the public domain:

FrozenNorth wrote:

Mimic wrote:

Mimic wrote:

Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?

Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :P

P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
512 DDR 2700 [333]
Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
256mb Geforce4 gfx card
1 Zalman Fan controller
1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
1 DVDrom
1 DVDRW
3 Case fans
5 inline led's.
[the tubes are always turned off atm]

If you need the exact part specs just shout.

thx

sorry, and a 40GB hdd @ 5400, and a 80GB hdd @ 7200 :P

Which channels and in what order are the HDs, and optical drives hooked
up.

IDE 1 = 80 GB OS[XPp] [cs] && 40GB storage [cs]
IDE 2 = DVDRW[master] DVDROM[slave]

One thing I maybe shoulda mentioned, when IDE1 HDD1 is set to master,
the installation of XPp loops and never actually installs the full
working OS. I swapped it to Cable Select and it was fine :/

What happens if you yank out the 40 and set the 80 as master? I suspect it
may boot alot faster.

Probably the drive speeds conflicting and causing issues, also are both DVD
drives or all four drives specified in the boot search order?
--
Froz ...