Old October 27th 04, 12:46 PM
Palindr☻me

Sammo wrote:
In terms of static, how safe is it to clean inside a home PC by using
a vacuum cleaner?

Some people like this website suggest that it is unwise.
http://www.dansdata.com/sbs3.htm

If my PC is switched off but remains earthed (to the mains earth) and
I am careful not to do physical damage to the PC with my home vacuum
cleaner, then surely there is no problem with static?

Am I overlooking something?

Electrostatic discharge can produce some intersting effects
on semiconductors and the risk shouldn't be discounted.

However I have cleaned out the interior of countless cases
with no apparent ill effect- using a soft haired paintbrush
in one hand whilst hovering over the area with the nozzle of
a domestic vacuum cleaner in the other. Due to the nature of
the job, one hand or both is in contact with the case most
of the time and so there is little chance for static build
up on the nozzle/your body/brush. Touching the case before
introducing the brush is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer to have the case sat on an esd mat to
leaving it plugged in - not so much from the static point of
view but a marked reluctance to work on anything with power
on or connected, unless unavoidable (like, I don't have the
mat with me).

Not to be done to a laser printer, but for other reasons.

--

Sue