Old December 14th 19, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Problems rebuilding system

Norm Why wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote
You can get a "no beep" condition, by using a
reset button crushed in the ON position. Usually
OEM computer cases are the ones with sufficiently
cheesy buttons on the front of the computer, to
make incidents like this possible. I have one
computer here, where the buttons are such,
I know that some day that's how those buttons
will fail. The buttons speak of cheapness.

Anything mechanical is always suspect. I've been using a couple of
identical Antec cases, not normally noted for being cheap, for computers
now residing in the basement "computer room". Not too long after purchase
(but outside any hope of warranty) the power switch failed on one of them
and drove me crazy for a while. Rather than give up I swapped the
connections between "power" and "reset" on the MB and it has worked fine
for years now. Only real problem is that I can almost never remember which
of the cases has the swapped switches. If I had any sense I'd apply some
masking tape over the dead switch to remind me...

Thanks John. Maybe reassignment of connections is the answer.

Because of propagation delays, the group seems not to have seen my latest
post or

"How-to-connect-case-cables-system-panel."
https://assets.rockpapershotgun.com/...stem-panel.jpg

What is that a picture of ?

It doesn't seem to be your GA-EP45-DS3L.

And the black wiring depicted, is a mistake when
doing builder work. You want classically colored
twisted pairs for each 2-pin thing needing
connections. It makes it easier to get the polarity
right on the first try (for LEDs).

No harm will come from hooking up a two pin pair the
wrong way around. I prefer the color code, because
it tells me "what they had in mind" when they wired it.

Antec in particular, has made mistakes on front panel
wiring more than once. The part I consider weird
about this, is when they do make a mistake, it's *never*
with the VCC pin, never a risk of smoke or fire.
How do they make these mistakes, without ever
involving a "hot" pin ? I could never figure that
part out. If you bring me an Antec case today,
I'll get out my ohmmeter and buzz out the wiring
harness, before using it.

Paul