Old April 11th 04, 05:12 AM
arvind

Default Is the HDD dead ?

Hi

Well I'm having an AMD-450Mhz sys with a 4Gb HDD with Win 98se
installed and working quite well.

Recently I purchased a second HDD of 6.4GB which I was told had some
problems which was not specified. Now after installing the Second HDD
the BIOS refuses to recognise both the drives. I've tried changing the
jumper setting's making the second one the master and the other one
the slave, but still the drive's are not seen by the BIOS. I've also
tried booting through the bootable floppy and also a bootable CD,
still the same result. I've noticed that there is a humming sound in
the second drive, which I presume could be an indication that the
drive may not be completely dead.

On disconnecting the second drive, and restarting, the system boots ok
and starts the OS without any problem.

Could someone please explain what's wrong with the Hard Drive and
suggest any solutions to resolve the same.

Any help provide would be appreciated.

Thanks