Old June 19th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Trev

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know Ihave the right stick?

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
Another Dave wrote:
Memory is the only thing I never buy cheap. Buy the stuff from Crucial
that
they recommend.

I regard my time (even leisure time) as valuable; wasting hours fiddling
around with dodgy memory for the sake of 10 or 20 pounds isn't worth it.

Dave, I would agree, except I'd want to go further.

If you have dodgy memory in a PC, and you use an operating system that
writes to media (which is sort of common), then it's quite possible for
the dodgy memory to make the OS write nonsense over anything on that
media.

If you have data on a PC, and it's not backed up, you don't really have
it. You certainly don't if the memory is dodgy.

So even if your time isn't worth £20, is your data worth that much?

Been there, done that, found out how good my backups were¹. I've now got
ECC memory from Crucial...

James.

¹ With the exception of three downloaded files (I couldn't remember what
they were, so I couldn't download them), Good Enough.

--
E-mail: james@ | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
waiting
| whether they would bounce.
| -- Telsa Gwynne

Your post arived here dated the 16 th Your a very sloe typer :¬))