Old June 19th 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

Mike Scott wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Pick up the phone and ring the 0800 number...

So, I called Crucial on 0800 013 0330 and spoke to a very helpful man
who answered the phone instantly and cleared up my confusion:
He said that ALL Crucial 1Gb sticks are 16 chip, and the fact that the

Then he was wrong. I've just rma'd a 1G stick of 8-chip memory which
Crucial sold me for a C7/CN700-based board, which only saw 512Mb of it.

I suspect he meant all 1GB DDR sticks. 1Gbit chips are mainstream for
DDR2, and would probably work in any chipset except the CN700 :-)

I believe the CN800 supports 1Gbit chips, although VIA's "documentation"
is so minimal that it's hard to be sure without trying it. They claim
4GB maximum as against 2GB for the CN700, which does suggest 1Gbit support.

--
John Jordan