Old October 16th 03, 07:01 PM
Michael Naven

Most Compaqs require that you put the jumpers on the rear of the new drive
in the "cable select" position, otherwise the computer won't see the new
drive. Then you have to install the operating system with the restore disk,
if you have the full restore disks. If you only have the recovery disks, D
drive is needed and that won't be on a blank drive, so it won't work. Full
restore disks are available from Compaq for a fee. Mike N
"Alessio Sangalli" wrote in message
Hi; I own a Presario 800 notebook (model number 80xl4).

Recently the original 20GB Hitachi drive began to have many broken
sectors; so I ordered a new 60GB Hitachi drive.

After having inserted it, I powered up the laptop but the BIOS stays
there forever to recognize IDE devices.

I've read on dejanews that I would need a BIOS update or whatever. A
friend of mine has the same laptop with a working hdd if it's needed for
some reasons.

Where can I download a BIOS update for my laptop? Anyone knows the
procedure better!??!

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli