Old June 2nd 11, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
red floyd

Default The System has experienced boot failures because of overclocking

On 6/1/2011 11:29 AM, Paul wrote:
red floyd wrote:
On 6/1/2011 1:21 AM, Paul wrote:
red floyd wrote:

Brand new mobo: GA880-GA-UD3H
CPU: Athlon II x3 455
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) Patriot Sector 5 G 1066/1333EL (PGV34G1333ELK)

When I boot, I get the error in the title: "The System has experienced
boot failures because of overclocking"

Except... I'm not overclocking, all memory timings are set to "Auto"
and/or "SPD".

How can I get rid of this? The memory passes the Windows 7 memory test.

If it helps, I'm using the on-board Radeon 4250HD.

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.

GA-880GA-UD3H memory list (not really useful, info needs better
formatting)

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/memory/mb...ud3h_v.2.1.pdf

Your processor. No important details here, either.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=729

PGV34G1333ELK 2x2GB kit, possibly two kits totaling 4 DIMMs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-ii-processo/1

Oops. Typo on the part number. It was a 2x4GB kit. It's
the PGV38G1333ELK.

If you want an alternative suggestion, drop down to just two
sticks, set everything to Auto, boot into Windows, run CPUZ
and verify how the BIOS set up the memory.

I do have everything set to Auto. And it does default to 1066.

I don't like booting Windows, until the memory has been tested.
I use memtest86+ from memtest.org to do the testing.

Windows 7 "Recovery Console" has a fullbore memory test, similar to
memtest86+.

Some sites have recommended clearing the CMOS. I've already reflashed
with the FF BIOS. If using the CMOS clear jumper doesn't work, I'll
probably return the memory and get some AMD recommended (though that
PDF doesn't list too many 4GB/1333 sticks).

Kingston has some that they say will work properly with this mobo.

If you have flashed the BIOS, then clearing the CMOS is a logical step.

Clearing the BIOS worked. I'm going to leave it at Auto/SPD for memory
timings. Just one question, should I set to Ganged or Unganged? What's
the difference? Also, what effect does the Southbridge Spread Spectrum
setting have?