Old June 15th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

Jonathan wrote:

Ah - now that's a good answer, just not one I wanted to hear! OK -
how do I find out whether a stick has 8 or 16 chips?

Unfortunately, this is one thing that Crucial are very bad at. Unless
you buy through their memory advisor, there's no guarantee that the
sticks will have the right chip density. I'd be surprised if any of
their 1GB DDR sticks weren't 16-chip as they tend to use low-density
chips for compatibility, but it's not definite.

There's a related issue where memory controllers will often run better
with 8-chip (single sided) sticks, but with Crucial you have no way of
knowing what you're going to get.

Some other manufacturers such as Kingston will specify more precise
details for sticks if you know what you're looking for.

--
John Jordan