Old June 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

Jonathan wrote:
In my Medion 8083, there are 2 sticks of Samsung and 2 of Elixir
memory, 256Mb each. 1Gb simply isn't enough these days, so I did lots
of research, found various configurators and read this page:
http://md8083.hertsinternet.com/memory.shtml which led me to believe
that this product should suit:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63128 - bought 2x1GB DDR PC3200
400MHz 184pin non-ECC ram, exactly as should work, and as you can see
from the other page, 1Gb sticks should work.

[snip]

On the front is a sticker with just the number 178873 and there are 8
chips marked 128xDDR, also the numbers 0710 400 on each chip. So, I'm
guessing that'll be 400Mhz and 128*8 is 1024, so it looks sort of
right.

Apparently the motherboard in that PC has the Intel 865PE chipset. These
only support chip densities up to 512mbit, so 8-chip 1GB sticks will not
work. Those cheap 16-chip "high density" sticks they sell on eBay won't
work either, but for a different reason.

Branded 16-chip 1GB sticks should work fine, but these will be more
expensive.

--
John Jordan