Old April 23rd 09, 12:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default 5.25" floppy drive to IDE to USB?

On Apr 23, 4:30*am, "Anthony K." -
removeme wrote:
In article ,
*Franc Zabkar wrote:

SMSC had a USB bridge chip (USB97CFDC2-01) that supported "640K, 720K,
1.44M, 1.2M Windows 98 J, and 1.2M NEC DOS 6.x Formats":

It could be worth exploring. Thanks, Franc. The worst case scenario, I
end up with another shiny new vintage computer. I was told elsewhere
that I might have luck if I track down a first gen USB 3.5" floppy
because it might also contain the logic for a 5.25". There's some
possibilities yet.

Anthony

Apple II disks are GCR, but fortunately 48tpi This is a few million
miles away from any standard IBM compatible controller. I think
Commodore also used GCR and sometimes 100 tpi drives. No USB device
will handle these types of disk as clock and data from the disk need
separating and processing in a very different way.

You need to find someone with a multi-media disk reader, such as in
InterMedia, US Lynx convertor or Shaffstel system

In UK, try www.onetouchcomputers.co.uk

Michael