Old April 23rd 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark F[_2_]

Default What Intel processors have all Intel instruction sets and features?

Is there a table of Intel chips that lists which instruction set
extensions are supported by the chip?

Is it even possible to get all of the features on one processors? If
not, what are the things that are no longer relevant?

I want to make sure that the processor that I use in a new machine
has everything, but I can't find a table that shows all of the
features. Does anyone know of such a table?

Some extensions/features/whatever a
. additional instructions for encryption support
. support for 64-bit addressing
. support for virtualization of 64-bit operating systems
. MMX
. SSE, SSE2, SSE3 (Is SSE3 a superset)
. AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) these are for
a proposed standard. Some Intel CPUs have them,
but I'm not sure if there are other extensions for
encryption that Intel has that may be needed.
. AES-NI (I'm not sure if this the name Intel's implementation of
AES, or an add-on to AES
. TXT (Intel Trusted Execution Technology)
. VT-x (Intel Virtualization Technology)
. maximum memory support - not an extension, but an important
parameter

There also are some graphics things, including:
Intel HD Graphics, Intel Flexible Display Interface, Intel
Clear Video Technology, and Intel Clear Video HD Technology.

I don't know if any of the graphics things are of interest if
the system contains a graphics card.

There is at least one mo
. FMA3 (for 128-bit "fused multiply-add)
but I don't know if this is available yet.

(I will consider things like number of processors per chip, power
usage, speed, Turbo Boost Technology, Hyper Threading Technology,
chip set functionality, and cost when deciding what to buy,
but I don't want to choose a processor that I can't run my virtual
machines on or runs at only 1/20 the speed for encryption or some
other thing that I overlooked.)