Old December 1st 17, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Case issue

Larc wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 20:34:55 -0500, Nil wrote:

| I'm into my computer build (first since 2006!) that I mentioned in a
| case I bought from Newegg:
|
| https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811352070
|
| I guess I'm behind the times, because I never even consided the
| possibility: there are no front-accessible bays to accommodate an
| optical disc reader/writer, which I require. I was looking for a case
| that was very insulated and quiet and this looked like a good choice,
| so now I'm very surprised and disappointed. I have to decide whether to
| return it (probably on my dime) or keep it. So...

I got this case and am happy with it. 2 external bays that will accommodate CD/DVD
drives. No side window. I did buy an extra fan for the front.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129199

Larc

I like the side-load trays on mine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA6ZP3KT7120

https://images10.newegg.com/producti...129-086-15.jpg

By pulling the trays out of two machines, I have
a total of eight trays to rotate through there.

*******

If you have liquid cooling plans, then other kinds of
cases might make more sense. Liquid can help with
some of the high power stuff now, if you want them
to remain stable. (At least one video card comes with
a water block, as proof it uses too much power :-) )

*******

The above case is no good for really long video cards.
And again, you have to sacrifice your drive bay setup
somewhat, to accommodate a long video card. Even some
motherboards have been known to cause problems.
(I think there was a ThreadRipper board which was
extolled as being good for running a bunch of
video cards, but the designer "forgot" to leave
room for the long video cards that might be used.)

Newegg may have a thousand different computer case
models to choose from, but you'll find at least
a few in the "what were they thinking category".
Products that I wouldn't ship back, and just squash them
and put them in my recycling bin.

Paul