Old November 29th 13, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe

Default Windows 8.0 starts up just fine here

Recently read something about adding an Explorer shortcut to some
folder. Now, I'm finally getting around to startup programs
instead of having to click on their program buttons in the taskbar
at every startup. That deeply buried startup folder is accessed
via "shell:startup" in Windows Explorer...

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I put a few program shortcuts in there, including one to Windows
Explorer drive D (my data drive). Windows 8 started up just fine,
maybe a little slow, but it moves past the start screen and opens
startup programs, just like Windows XP. Don't know if adding the
Windows Explorer shortcut is necessary, but doesn't matter here
since I always have it open.

I suppose that has been mentioned before, but I don't recall seeing
specific instruction.