Old February 1st 05, 08:32 PM
Harvey Gratt

Bob H wrote:

Harvey Gratt wrote:

I'm trying to verify whether PartitionMagic 8.01 will automatically
"fix" the boot.ini file and the partition boot sector where it resides
during the rearrangement of disk partitions.

Specifically, say I have an XP primary, active partition as the third
partition on my HDD. The first two partitions are logical partitions.
Initially, the boot.ini file would point to the third partition.

If I now delete the first two partitions so as to make the XP
partition the first partition, will PartitionMagic automatically
rewrite the boot.ini file to make it point to the first partition so
as to make subsequent boot-ups possible?

Thanks,
Harvey

I wouldn't have thought so. You are in fact delting the boot.ini file
when you delete the first 2 partitions, so where will the boot.ini file
be? Deleted as well, I say.
You will have to create another boot.ini file on the same partition you
want to boot from.

I appear to be mis-understanding something. I thought the boot.ini file
resided in the "partition boot sector" which, in the original setup,
would have been located in the third partition (active, primary).

If not where does it reside? Are the "partition boot sector (PBS)",
boot.ini file always located at a specific location on the HDD - I
thought this was true only of the MBR, which in turn pointed to the PBS
(which is located at an arbitrary location). Is my understanding
incorrect - it would appear so.

Thanks,
Harvey