Old July 2nd 03, 12:45 PM
Joep

One minor thingie ... somehow the partition tables now describe a 'Dynamic
Disk' (type 42h). So is the OP aware of that, was he or wasn't he using a
Dynamic Disk?

Joep

--
D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
Zvi Netiv wrote:
(Jethro) wrote:

First of all, I don't know if I am in the right group here, someone
else pointed me in this direction.

I have a problem with one of my harddrives which I will try to explain
he
I have 2 harddrives in my pc 1 is the system harddrive on which my OS
(win2k) is installed. The second one is a harddrive for all my other
things, the size is 80Gb. That harddrive containt 4 partitions of
somewhere arround 20Gb each. This second harddrive is the problem.
Something went terribly wrong during a crash and now Windows says the
drive is 'unformatted'. The partitions are no longer viewable.
In the bios the size of the harddrive isn't correct. The actual size
is 80Gb but the bios says somewhere arround 31Gb.
With EasyRecovery Pro I managed to get a little more information which
have shown that, from the 31Gb, 1 partition (of 20Gb) is still intact
and I am able to recover all the data on that partition. The rest of
the space is 'unindentified'.
I also have a logfile of partition magic, you can view it he
http://www.xs4all.nl/~bjborsje/diskinfo.txt.
My feeling is that all the data is on the harddrive, but that somehow
the partition tables are messed up. I hope there is a way to make this

all work again.

The problem lies he

Partition Information for Disk 2: 32,247.7 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect #

StartSect TotalSects

Type 42 Pri 32,247.7 0 0

0 66,043,215

Seems that the drive not being recognized as 80 GB is caused by the bad
partition table in the MBR and the drive setting in the setup being on

AUTO.
You could try the following procedu

Download RESQ from http://resq.co.il/resq.php and prepare the rescue

floppy by
running the download file on a PC that runs under Win98. If you have no

access
to such PC then prepare the FreeDOS boot floppy from our site by aid of
MakeResQ, from http://resq.co.il/resq.php

Sorry, bad link: should be http://http://resq.co.il/iv_tools.php

Boot the problem PC from the floppy made, then from the A: prompt and

the RESQ
floppy, run RESQDISK /KILL /2

This will put zeros in the partition table of the second drive without

affecting
anything else. Reboot the PC from the floppy and see if the BIOS now

detects
the drive with the correct size.

From the A: drive, run now RESQDISK /ASSESS /2

RESQDISK will scan the second drive for partitions and configuration

data and
will prepare a report named A:\RESQDISK.RPT (leave the floppy write

enabled to
save the report). Post the report here (it's a plain text file) and I

should be
able to instruct how to complete the recovery.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL http://invircible.com
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities