Old August 25th 03, 11:29 PM
Ben

All I do with W2K is run disk cleanup, regcleaner and then defrag. Do that
once a week and everything should run sweetly. If your Hdd still fills up
then its filling up with files you create i.e. documents etc .. and no auto
cleanup program is gonna touch that. Ive tried lots of 'cleanup' programs
and I always come back to method Ive outlined above - its simple and
efficient.
If I install a piece of software that Im unsure of or a file sharing prog
like Kazaa then sure - use adaware to clean out the spyware - but thats
privacy not freeing up hdd space.
You could try sifting through Windows for stuff you dont use but be damned
sure before you delete it. i would include stuff like bmp files (wallpaper
you never use) and windows update files - after updating IE the cab files
are still there etc ...

"Dwayne Epps" wrote in message
.. .
I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup for this question.

I'm running Win2000 and I have been looking for a comprehensive resource
either online or preferrably in a book that discusses how to clean out the
harddrive. I've read lots of different articles and information online,

but
nothing fully detailed.

I routinely delete out my temporary internet files, internet history,
cookies, temp files but I continue to see my harddrive space eroding.

Some information that I have read indicates that many of the files aren't
deleted unless the files are deleted in DOS during bootup even though they
show as being deleted from Windows Explorer. I understand that the same
applies to Outlook email messages and newsgroup messages. I also have read
articles that discuss how index.dat files can seriously eat away harddrive
space as they archive all the URL's, website information, search keywords,
etc., that have been accessed. From the information that I've read, it
appears that .dat files are very dificult to find and delete.

Other areas I'm looking to understand and learn to optimize in a PC are

the
registry and anything else that can help clear out old information from

the
harddrive and optimize the space.

I also read information about different software packages that clean files
from the harddrive like: Wipe, Evidence Eliminator, etc. These types of
software packages might be decent choices, but I'm looking to understand
what to watch out for and what can be deleted before investing in

something
that might not achieve what I need.

So, is there a comprehensive book that discusses these topics? I've come
across a few books that just point out some basics that I'm already aware
of, but nothing that details the full gamut of cleaning, optimizing, and
protecting privacy on a harddrive.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Dman100-