Old December 20th 04, 05:32 PM
Thomas Jahns

"JK (at mail dot dk)" writes:
When you cut off the power on the PSU backside you cannot use wake-up
features.

Perhaps I should have been more verbose, the events are this:

1. System plugged into wall socket, PSU power switch (the one at the
back of the system) switched off (accordingly no power to cusl2 c)
2. I switch on the PSU power switch (the system is now in standby, the
leds on the keyboard light for a moment and the led in the optical
mouse continues to glow until I switch off the system at the back
again).
3. I try to get the system up by pressing Ctrl-Esc (but it doesn't work)
4. I press the case power button, system comes up as expected
5. Once the system is fully booted, I bring it down to soft power-off
(so the fans are off etc. but there is still power to the mainboard
and mouse led is still glowing)
6. If I press Ctrl-Esc now, the system boots (as I would have expected
in 3.)

Between steps 3. and 6. I do of course not change anything in the BIOS
Setup or the system's ACPI setup.

I think this might be BIOS related. At least my P2B-F had a similar
symptom (would start up in step 3. but not in 6., needed to cut power on
the back of the system for Ctrl-Esc to work again). Unfortunately while
on P2B-F this was cured by BIOS 1012 and up (IIRC), the CUSL2 C is
already flashed with the latest BIOS.

That is the whole idea:atx power supplies never switch totally off.
They still have power on keyboard and mouse.

I know that.

So it also important never to pull out mouse and keyboard from a
computer where amin power has not been cut off. This might burn the
PS/2 ports.

I'm aware of that but have never succeeded in destroying a PS/2
keyboard/mouse device (I'm a master at wrecking tape drives but in now 20
years of computing have not had a single hard disk fail me, at least
during the time the corresponding system was still actively used).

Especially asus-board can burn these ports. Maybe there are some small
smd-mounted-fuses inside the ps/2 housings, - but I couldn't repair
it.

These would be placed on the PCB.

So beware of that !

I do.

Thomas Jahns
--
"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."