Old December 19th 05, 09:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage

Default Network storage for home network (wifi or not?)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I have 5 desktop machines running a mix of Linux and XP on my network
at home. Two are wired the rest are wireless (g). Am thinking about
adding a Network storage unit, firstly does anyone have any
suggestions.. something not too expensive.

I am also contemplating wifi or not, moving data (5mp pictures etc.)
round could be really slow when going wireless even if it's 54Mbps.

Would appreciate any feedback on brands/models etc that anyone has
experience with. I have a new 300G Maxtor IDE that I could put into
whatever new enclosure I buy for starters.

I've had my Netgear SC100 for about 2 weeks now

http://www.netgear.co.uk/digital_home_sc101.php

You need the latest firmware, but I've had no trouble with it. Paid £70 for
it.

doesn't come with any drives and you need to check the Netgear site for a
list of compatable drives,

Looking through Netgears forum, most of the problems people have with these
units seem to stme from not using any of the drives on the 'tested' list

Clive