Old February 4th 05, 09:19 PM
Bill Todd

Dave wrote:
Hi guys,

I've written a short guide to the most common levels of RAID in use,
mainly so people new to computers and storage solutions can get to
grips with it. I know I would have found a guide useful a year ago when
I was new to RAID. I know there are many resources out there, but I
tried to make mine more accessible. Please let me know what you think,
and feel free to comment if you have any opinions.

Only a couple of nits:

1. Two-drive RAID-0 configurations are entirely possible and sensible.

2. *Drives* do not have parity data in RAID-5 ("Each drive's parity
data is distributed to the remaining drives" is nonsense).

3. 'A stripe array that is mirrored' is a very rare RAID construct:
most 'RAID-10' implementations are a set of mirror pairs which are then
striped.

- bill