Old January 31st 20, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default Getting there

Thanks. I should mention that at this point I have one 500 MB RAM stick
installed with the Intel heat sink cooler on the CPU. Maybe I will try a
no RAM boot. If I can get into BIOS I can tweak it. I have BARTPE
(preinstallation edition based on WinXP). On it I have the BIOS F2
upgrade. If I can boot BARTPE and install BIOS v2.0 I'm home free.

I removed the one RAM stick to see if I got different beep codes. Nope.
'Continuous short beeps: Power error' takes priority. This means the
annoying beep speaker can be removed and the system can be allowed to
recycle. Paul gave a link where GA-EP45-DS3L MOBO eventually POSTed. With
Q9650, I could feel heat radiated. E4700 is cold. I can still feel heat
coming from somewhere but face is not directional. Touching does not
reveal hot spot. Going through MOBO I found a ten-pin keyed connector not
plugged in. I removed all power to peripherals, like DVD R/W drive.

Like Louis Rossmann, I think I need to find a component that is
"shorting", (an active short?).

Where to find such tool?

The claim here is the continuous short beeps are a RAM error.

GA-EP45-DS3L ? I reseated my 500 MB RAM.

https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyt...t-beeps-4.html

It almost seems like a half-finished BIOS design or something.

Some RAMs working, other RAMs not working, participants going crazy with
the custom settings.

I had less trouble with my VIA chipset board than that :-)
(That was the board where the chipset actually works with 2GB
RAM DIMMs, but the BIOS was never "tuned" to use the right
Tsu and Th and the like. When I used the 1GB sticks I had, that
board was flawless. Long Prime95 runs, no problem at all. BIOS
issues can make an awful mess when they happen.)

Paul

Thanks Paul. I got a non-contact infrared thermometer and found heat was
generated in all the usual suspects: components with heat sink radiators. I
keep the room thermostat at 15 C and allow heat from xBox 360 and Samsung
plasma TV to keep it warm. Tonight outside temperature should get down to 8
C. I'll turn off thermostat and electronics and let the room get cold. With
recycle the GA-EP45-DS3L MOBO might POST.