Old July 10th 10, 09:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

On Jul 10, 3:47*pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

But the memory isn't that crazy, I was thinking that for $1k I could move from
one old core2-6600 w/ 4GB to enough to make the VMs dance a little faster..

I haven't gushed about a chip since the 130nm Tualatin. Mostly, I've
wondered why the chip couldn't deliver what I expected.

Core i7-920 is an exception. Virtualization works well enough so
that, except for Linux and the sound card, I don't notice that I'm
using a virtual machine, which is noticeably faster than a 3GHz
Pentium 4 for Linux. Windows XP on Windows Vista even makes the sound
card transparent. I'm using all vmware, so I don't know how other
solutions might work. I haven't yet succeeded in overloading it.

I'll admit, I've become so cynical about computers and software that
just seeing a gnome-terminal pop when I ask for it seems like a
miracle, never mind that it's on a virtual box. Admittedly, the core
2 duo E8xx almost seem like overkill for a single user, but I haven't
tried to virtualize anything on them (yet).

Robert.