Old November 23rd 07, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Inspiron 531 serial port

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 4:56 pm, "tim fm ct" wrote:
Hi,
I've recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 531 and I like it. However,
it
uses MS vista and it doesn't have serial ports. I use X10 Activehome to
control lights in our home and the computer interface uses a 9 pin
connector. The USB to RS232 adapter cable, I purchased, will not work
because Vista can not find a driver for it. I contacted Bilkin, and they
do
not have 9 pin adapter cable right now.
I called Dell to see about adding a serial port. I'm sad to say the
support
was not so good.
All they had was an adapter for $75 that would take up one of the USB
ports.
I've found serial ports on Dell site for less than $40. Problem is, I
don't
know if they will be appropriate for the 531 and I really don't want to
deal
with the Dell support system.
Can anyone advise me about this?
Thanks in advance,
Tim fm CT

Have you asked X10 about this? Their site is..... spammy, but it looks
real, and they do also host some community-support forums.

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

paul makes a great point here... why not just get the more updated version
of the activehome adapter for the pc. the new one are usb based instead of
serial based. there is also a new version of the pc software which suggests
to me that your old software might have problems with vista... i suggest
that you talk to x10 to see if you get the new usb active home connector and
software if it is both compatible with windows and with your other old
active home devices. this would be the best solution, and would not require
you to open the case to install that card i previously suggested. good
luck.