Old November 20th 12, 06:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Christopher Altmann

Default planned obsolescence - f.e. Canon MP810

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:30:12 -0600, davy
wrote:

I don't know if you are competent enough to strip the power module down,
and look for blown capacitors.... OK this is a mobo but blown capacitors

[...]

Thanks for the hint, detecting blown caps is about as far as I can go,
and they seem to look fine. I had a couple of blown caps in some
other electronics but they mostly were 3 years old.
Everythings looks brand new, no smell or whatsoever.

[...]
If it was the print head I'm sure you would see some error code of
something pop up, this wouldn't cause any light not to light up too.

[...]

Users all over the I-net say it's the print head killing the MoBo
(or some other component) instantly.
Some tested the print head in a working printer,
which immediately broke down. I don't have a 2nd model
but definitely would not try having read that anyway.

[...]
my power unit it was enclosed in a plastic case once it was released and
it used 'star shaped' screws - not the Philips cross head type! Also
modern day fuses come in differing shapes, some are like resistors,
their markings would tell them apart, would be worth a check.

[...]

All the same over here, so that's what I'm up to:
Identifying the "fuse".
Seems I have to dig a little deeper into electronics 101.

[...]
I tried you have completely removed the power cable for about three
minutes or so and tried a reboot to clear the logic circuitry.

[...]

Yes, of course, and thanks for the manual, I already gathered that
in the past to dismantle the printer without breaking any plastics.

chris