Old April 7th 17, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Overclock 6700K Max Temps Prime95 Small FFT

On 2017-02-10 22:42, B00ze wrote:

So I took the plunge - I had to open the desktop and move some hard
drives around, so I took the opportunity to remove the CPU heatsink
and have a look: Good news; I had, as I expected, just a tiny tiny
tiny bit too much TIM and the CPU PCB was NOT bent. Cleaned-up with
100% alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) and re-did the TIM and put the
heatsink back (pretty much with the same amount of TIM). Since this
is Arctic Silver 5, I need to wait a couple days for it to settle
before I test again, but I ran OCCT real quick and I get the same
temps as before (70-80 degrees under the CPU stress test (NOT the
Linpack)). We'll see in a few days, I will report back.

Alright, I tested the PC with Prime95 again, after having redone the
TIM and reseated the CPU - Same results; Prime95 (the latest
version) can make some cores climb to 94C for some tests; we're still
hovering at around 80C in OCCT's CPU test. One thing that HAS changed
is that OCCT crashes the first time I run it and start the CPU test.
Run it again, no matter how many times you like, and it works fine,
but start it for the first time that day and it crashes. So the
situation is actually worse than before. I'm not going to take the
cooler off and reseat the CPU again tho, unless I find some other
symptoms/programs crashing (Thunderbird did start crashing randomly
last week but I re-installed it and it's been doing fine since). I
will re-install OCCT and see what that does; maybe I will have to
increase base voltage from 1.30 to 1.35 to fix this; I shoulda left
well enough alone, it was rock solid before!
Anyway, except for stability issues, I'm giving up on this strange
cpu/heatsink combo, where the HS base doesn't really get hot even when
the CPU is running 90C (it becomes "warm" only). Looks like it is how
things are - unless I run a water cooler, I must expect very high
temps in Prime95.

I haven't been following your progress but from that last bit you wrote it
sounds to me like the factory TIM between the CPU proper and its IHS
(Integrated Heat Spreader) could be faulty. Apparently it's not that
uncommon a thing...
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."