Old October 21st 07, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Bill Rider

Default Help! DSL modem is dead

D. Kirkpatrick wrote:
In article ,
Newbie wrote:

Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.

Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
tools of learning or shopping!

My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
wireless.)

Thanks.

The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.

If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
will be called for.

I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
two.

My Bellsouth installation software opened a page in Safari:
http://launchmodem/homeSumBS.htm

I bookmarked it. It will let me talk to my modem whether or not the
phone line is connected. I can have the modem do a self-test and get
statistics about my DSL connection, for example.