Old October 21st 03, 06:36 PM
Faeandar

My take on the read host was that it only needed to see the disk, not
actually serve read requests. If my take is wrong then you are
correct. If not then the setup I mention will work.

As a side note, isn't it a tuneable paramter? Caching I mean. An OS
could be made to not cache read request data. Of course that would
severly impact it's actual funtion but that's not the question...

~F

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:48:11 -0400, "Bill Todd"
wrote:

"Faeandar" wrote in message
.. .
Actually, what the poster is asking about does not require a shared
file system, merely server clustering and shared LUN access.

I'm afraid not. The OP stated that the second system was not solely being
used for failover, but also would be reading the data concurrently while the
first system wrote it. Unless they're using a shared file system, the
second server will be caching stale data from the disk without knowing that
it has been changed, and will quickly get very confused.

- bill