Old June 24th 03, 01:14 PM
Arthur Hagen

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message

To replace my aging 19" Sony, I read all I could find of reviews and user
experiences, and looked at the prices, and decided to go with a Mitsubishi
DP930SB for $305.

It turned out I made a BAD choice with the Diamond Pro 930SB, which I
received yesterday. This monitor is no better than the very cheapest ones,
and in many respects worse:

- The recommended resolution of 1600x1200@85Hz is blurry -- I have to use
75Hz or 1280x960 to get rid of the blurriness. If installing the monitor
..inf file from Mitsubishi or Windows Update, the 1600x1200@85Hz setting
disappears, indicating that Mitsubishi/Nec knows about this problem.
- The display is vibrating, mostly vertically.
- It has a max operating temperature of 90F, which is quite clearly too low,
especially since the monitor isn't energyStar compliant and puts out huge
amounts of heat itself.
- The difference between a cold and a warm monitor is higher than on any
other monitor I've seen the last 10 years -- when cold, the picture is half
an inch taller than when warm.
- There seems to be little or no reflective coating.
- The edges of the plastic surrounding the display are highly reflective,
causing a quite irritating reflection around the display.
- The manual is terse, badly translated, doesn't match the monitor's
functions, and lacks any kind of explanations.

The aging Sony that it replaced had none of these problems (it was suffering
from old age, where the picture was washed out), so I know it's the monitor
and not the gfx card.
My hope now is that MonitorDirect's return policy allows me to exchange it
for something better. Cause this, quite frankly, is pathetic.

Regards,
--
*Art