Old June 23rd 03, 06:00 PM
Arthur Hagen

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a good 19" or 21" CRT for use as my main monitor
with my Parhelia card. 18"+ LCD's still to pricy and the colour and

quality
isn't as good as a CRT so only looking for CRT's at the moment (my other 2
monitors are LCD).

One thing I would look at is what the recommended and maximum resolutions
are for the displays -- you can find 19" monitors that aren't meant to do
better than 1280x1024@75Hz, while others do 1600x1200@85Hz as the
recommended resolution, and can be pushed even higher. CRTs are usually
going to be blurry and might even have a shorter life if you push them
higher than what's recommended. I'd also recommend a flat faced monitor,
even though you pay a bit more. They're MUCH nicer to use.

Unfortunately, Sony has stopped producing 19" CRTs, and the 21" ones are way
to expensive. The Mitsubishi/Nec monitors seem like a good buy these days,
as they have the same Trinitron tech as the Sony displays, and are very
reasonably priced. Ilyama Visionmaster monitors are also quite popular, and
good value, but I've seen problems reported using them with the Parhelia.
If you don't want aperture grille (Trinitron and similar) monitors, but
shadow mask, ViewSonic makes some that are pretty good value.

To replace my aging 19" Sony, I read all I could find of reviews and user
experiences, and looked at the prices, and decided to go with a Mitsubishi
DP930SB for $305. The price difference between good 19" and 21" monitors
didn't seem like it was worth it to me, and the cheap 21" monitors are quite
frankly not good enough.

Regards,
--
*Art