Old October 18th 06, 09:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Meaning of OEM

wrote:

On 17-Oct-2006,
(Fred McKenzie) wrote:

So to a UK person buying computer supplies "OEM" tends to mean
cheaper, without frills, not what it seems to mean here.

Beware of buying OEM, you may not get any warranty without
a County Court action.
Even if you can contact the manufacturer they generally say,
"It's an OEM part, contact your comouter vendor"

BUT you bought from a supplier, and they bought in bulk, OEM
designated devices, because they are cheaper, and have a bigger
profit margin.
After a year they say "Not our problem, you must have
mistreated it"
So they give you the call centre runaround, at national call
rates.
Certainly for rotating devices. with lasers that tend to go sick,
or hard drives I'd prefer to pay the few percent extra for the
mfrs. warranty, even then you may still get the runaround.

Since in the UK our rights are wholly with respect to the supplier
from whom we bought the item and not at all against the manufacturer
this isn't really an issue here.

--
Chris Green