Old December 17th 08, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
poachedeggs

Default pc transplant - Compaq EN to new case & psu (possible?)

Whoops, yes I mistook a V for a W, but apart from that my questions
stand, thanks.

On Dec 17, 12:27*am, poachedeggs wrote:
While installing Linux Mint 2.2 on an old Compaq EN SFF 886mhz tonight
the power supply blew. *I don't know anything about building pcs and I
wondered if I could get a case with psu built in and just move the
Compaq in. *The spec is good enough for what it was going to be used
for and don't have the loot to build from scratch or buy new.

A new 120 v psu would be more than I paid for the pc and eBay has no
used ones at present. *When I look at cases with psus the voltage
seems way above 120v - has the standard changed since 1999 or am I
misreading something?

My other option was to move the hard drive (20gb), floppy drive, DVD-
Rom drive, USB card, modem and RAM (2 x 256 mb ram SODIMM 133 mhz into
another 'used' case & motherboard etc, but I'd prefer the first option
as it'd be a semi-new computer. *I suppose it's mostly about whether
the motherboard will fit or something? *Anyway, pardon any naivety.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Is the RAM I've got too old for new motherboards?

Thanks.