Old July 25th 20, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default asrock = useless pricks

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 06:11:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps.
I have done all the usual crap, swapping RAM, graphics card, CMOS battery,
power supply ad nauseum....
The user manual doesn't have page for beep codes.
I tried searching the asrock website, just get 500 internal server error.
Goodnight clowns, I will never buy anything from them again.

Every brand, regardless of the underlying product category, has its base of
anti-fans who swear they will never buy that brand again.

There are countless web sites that describe various beep codes. You'd want
to start with knowing who made the BIOS so that you can go down the right
path.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97M%20Anniversary/

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z...nniversary.pdf

"64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with multilingual GUI support"

A developer can foul up a BIOS and put just about any Port 80
code or beep pattern they want. Normally, a company like
Asrock would not have source for all of that code! You can
tell this, based on how some "issues" have been patched in
the past. The sloppiness tells you they don't have source
for the bringup section. Their access is mainly for
feature adjustments.

[ Warning: Annoying adverts! ]

http://www.bioscentral.com/

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Has the usual sorts of codes.

1 long, 2 short Failure in video system

An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM,
or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered

1 long, 3 short Memory test failure

A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

And this is 6 beeps, if you thought the old beep codes
apply to the new UEFI BIOS...

6 short Gate A20 failure

The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is
not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to
protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller

*******

Randomly bobbing for apples gets me:

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_V_Status_Codes.pdf

DXE Beep Codes

6 Flash update is failed

https://ami.com/en/tech-blog/acronym-soup-what-is-dxe/

"The acronym DXE stands for Driver eXecution Environment and
begins after the Pre-EFI Initialization (PEI) phase or in the
presence of a valid Hand-Off Block (HOB) list. The DXE phase
consists of a few components, DXE Core, DXE Dispatcher, and
DXE drivers.

The Core component is responsible for producing a set of
Boot Services, DXE Services, and Runtime Services.

The Dispatcher component is responsible for discovering and
executing DXE drivers in the correct order.

Finally, the drivers are responsible for initializing chipset,
processor, and platform components.

The DXE phase has a sub phase known the boot device selection
(BDS) phase for booting an operating system

The DXE Phase ends when the operating system is successfully
booted. The only things that remains of DXE phase are runtime
data structures and services allocated by the DXE Core along
with services and data structures produced by runtime DXE drivers.
"

Which do we believe ?

An old beep definition that doesn't make sense ?

A new beep definition that doesn't make sense ?

Paul