Old March 5th 06, 06:24 AM posted to alt.backup-software,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs

Default Loses data when PC shuts down

kony wrote:
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:14:25 +0300, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

LOL. WinXP is like a slug compared to 9x, you have
performance quite backwards.

On adequate hardware (256MB RAM and up), XP is faster. Yes, 9x can run on 64MB,
where XP cannot, but on adequate hardware it is not an issue.

Nope. The obviousness of XP being slower is more easily
revealed on old hardware, because taking 2-3X as long means
larger fractions of a second wait in turn, but even so it's
still slower on brand new systems. You are correct that
memory is an issue, but one can in fact put 256MB on a
fairly old system (something just new enough to cache the
entire amount) and still see the problem. Any way you look
at it, doing same task and having to juggle around 256MB of
code just takes longer on ALL systems.

Win9x can't cut it, but for some it can and for those there
is no reason to shun it.

I see the person who has absolutely stupid issues with the commodity hardware,
which runs fine on modern OSes.

Perhaps. The decision can be taken on a case by case basis.
Remeber it is not a question of "what OS to buy today",
rather one with Win98 is presumed to already have it,
probably even have it running on any given system. The
remaining issue is only whether it suits their needs which
it may NOT do, but for some it does.

In such a situation, I can really recommend the OS upgrade, and running the
legacy app with a legacy Win9x OS in Virtual PC sandbox. This seems to be the
easiest way of solving her problems with the USB harddisk.

Easy?

$100 minimum expense, maybe more (like upgrading hardware
not supported with XP drivers, possible memory needs).
Several hours installing OS, drivers, user preferences,
apps, transferring data, testing the legacy app, etc.

Relatively speaking, there are certainly harder things in
life but so far as PCs go, that's not the easiest way to do
anything.

Those are good points Kony. Also, there are other factors. The software
I need to use will only work with Win98. My younger brother uses the
same software and there are other issues there too. That's a long
story. In brief, he can't go to XP for other reasons besides. I don't
get to visit him often but I know the issues he has.

Also, if the patches hold up, maybe that's all that will be needed.
But, I do want to partition and get the PCI controller card to be safe.

Christine