Old May 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default bad power supply? - HP Compaq d330T

Your result shows that the power supply DOES care if the fan is there. You can get a replacement at any local PC repair shop, Newegg.com , Best buy etc. but FIRST -

1. Are you sure fan was reinstalled correctly ( on the proper pins ? red wire/black wire on same pins as BEFORE you removed it ?)
2. Try it. Does it boot without the fan now ? ( if green light now ON and was not on previously) If so, it's a bad fan ! ( maybe you broke it ?? )

If you do need PS, note how many pins on current supply where it plugs into motherbaord. Older ones used 20 pins, newer ones 24 pins. Read the label on it - how many watts ( that's your minimum to get). In case certain size , HP shows:

Slim Tower
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...HTML#TechSpecs
shows 185W Power Supply
OR Microtower = 240 Watt Power Supply
Browse around there

There are some custom sizes/ types - if not a "standard size": Call/ look here -

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...Power-Supplies

"Tim923" wrote in message news On Thu, 22 May 2008 06:35:21 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

Disconnect the fan and try it again with it out for 5 seconds - note
change.
if sensing fan issue, now should get "beep" code.
if no beep , it's not caring about fan

I didn't get the beep code. I noticed a green LED lit up on the
motherboard under the floppy drive. Does that indicate that the power
supply is working? Where do I get a replacement power supply? -Tim923