Old February 7th 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 00:27:15 -0000, "Nick Le Lievre"
wrote:

SNIP

One last thing before I take the plunge and get a PIII 600 slot 1 100mhz
with standard heatsink to run without connecting the FAN (should be ok only
hotter) I want to know what the wire from the heatsink to the motherboard is
on this Compaq. Its not a CPU fan wire but whats it for - somebody told me
this needs to be connected for the PC to boot I havent tested that out yet
but its connected to the heatsink and I`ve never seen it on a PIII Heatsink
before.

The wire from the heat sink to the motherboard is a temperature sensor. If it
is not connected to the motherboard, the system will complain and (*** I THINK,
IIRC ***) not boot. In other words, you need it.

Do NOT run the P3 CPU without its cooling fan. This is a pretty sure recipe for
overheating. Instead, is it possible to graft the old heat sink onto the new
processor? The old heat sink is large enough that it will dissipate the heat.
Most any heat sink/fan combo attached to a Slot 1 P3 cannot dissipate the heat
unless the fan is working... Ben Myers