Old October 26th 06, 06:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Myers

Default Another AMD supercomputer, 13,000 quad-core

George Macdonald wrote:

Hey Robert - haven't heard from you here in a while.

My surplus U2 didn't come equipped with an internet connection.

Trouble is, nobody, not even the U.S. taxpayer, can afford a new custom
architecture and CPU design... which is going to be obsolete the day it
first starts "crunching". I believe that even the Japanese have finally
come to the same conclusion. Maybe the Chinese, with their uncanny ability
to hide epxense, will bite??:-)

But specialized coprocessors are not out of reach. Folding at Home is
doing great things with GPU's.

Of course, saying "oh, we'll use coprocessors" is just another version
of the interconnect problem, but it may be the only practical solution
to the power consumption problem and the only solution at all to the
class of problems that appears to concern you: problems with a long
critical path.

Robert.