Old October 8th 04, 08:37 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:32:59 +0000, Ken Ruppel wrote:

I'm almost sure this is a dumb question. I'm still on an Athlon XP1700+
(w/ an Asus A7V266-E), but I believe that I need a bit more octane
because things are slowing down to a level of concern.

Depending on the model and date code of the 1700+ you have, you may be
able to clock it up to as high as a 2800+ with no ill effects. At a
minimum, you should be able to clock it to 2100+ speeds even if it's the
old original Palomino core XP.

I believe the XP2600+ is the highest CPU that is FSB 266.

Not really. Mobiles, MP's have a 266FSB (133MHz)

My (dumb) question is: If I put the XP2600+ w/FSB 333 on my FSB 266
mobo, will I have a problem, or will it just be a matter of my not
getting the full capability of the chip?

Again this depends on if it's a locked cpu or not. If it's an earlier
unlocked model XP, then you can change the multiplier and get the max
speed it will run at. Multipliers go up to 24x. Might get more info from
link below.