Old November 3rd 04, 02:09 PM
User N

"Key Bored" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Some info can be found in the documents located he

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...us&l=en&s=corp

However, I find the information frustratingly vague. The configuration of the
test machines isn't fully documented, nor is the amount of load. But that is
something to look at.

There are numerous forums on the net where PC quieting is dicussed. For
example, www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com, and
www.silentpcreview.com have forums. I don't know whether any third
parties have evaluated Dells, Gateways, etc for noise. However, if you
dig around you'll probably find numerous personal comments regarding
how quiet or noisy they are.

You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and what
one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If you
aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could build
your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.