Old November 3rd 04, 11:15 AM
wederik

Tom McCune wrote:
"Key Bored" wrote in
:

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600
or 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of
these models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers
like Sony, Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings

for
computers?

This is an interesting thread. My current desktop is an 8100. It
and my prior two Dell desktops were too noisy for me. In fact, I've
now gone to nearly exclusive use of my laptop, largely because the
desktops cause my ears to ring. It is strange though that my home
desktops cause me such problems because my work Dell desktops do not
- I think it may be because the work ventilation system serves as a
white noise that filters this out (my hypothesis!).

Hi Tom,
I also have a Dimension 8100. In the course of time it became very
noisy indeed.
Recently I had a handyman replace both of the coolers you can see on
the backside (one of them belongs to the electric power unit)
Now it's as quiet again as if it was new.
Maybe it's a solution to consider ?
wederik