Old February 4th 04, 02:39 PM
Gereon Wenzel

Britt Morelli Hansen schrieb:

I'm interested in installing Linux on my old Deskpro XL 6200.

Nice Box, got one of these too.

I have
downloaded the configuration utility, but it won't start from the floppy. I
get the following message:

What exactly did you download?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/7156.html
is listed for the /XL, but I prefer to set up all my EISA Compaqs using
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/13227.html

172 EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization aborted
Run Configuration Utility
1782-Disk Controller Failure
162 System Options not set
Run Configuration Utility

Then I can resume with F1, and then it says

Invalid System Disk
Replace... etc.

All of this with configuration utility disk 1/4 in the floppy. Any ideas to
fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Does the machine try to access the floppy(light, sound)?
Check floppy drive cable connections.
Try to clear the current configuration in CMOS (default boot device is
stored there).
Make sure Floppy boot is enabled (it can be disabled using the DIP
switches)
Try to write the system disks to a different Floppy drive,
if you have another system availiable.
Swap the deskpro floppy drive for a known good one,
probably the one you wrote the disks on.
If you have any other Compaq EISA System you can try to
boot a SCSI disk with exiting F10 service partition.
Unluckily the Deskpro/XL can't boot any of the SMARTstart CDs
used for setting up the Prosignia and Proliant servers.

Gereon