Old December 10th 18, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Dropped "Full"-DVI-I vs DVI-D-support-only for GT 1030 is painfull/mistake.(Thx to convertors still interesting though)

wrote:
Oh I was wrong about this/confused. The HDMI to VGA converter was limited to 1920x1080 which is a non issue cause vga monitor is 1280x1024 or something like that.

HD monitor is 1920x1200 which single link DVI-D can do and card too:

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/1/6/4/a/c0...242661c293.pdf

So for now this is ok enough.

However E-VGA also has GT 1030 for sale with dual link DVI connectors and passive heat sinks so going to investigate the asus competition too =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

The DVI connector has always been full of surprises on
the video card end.

+----+ +----+ | === make DVI-I looking connector
+----+ +----+ | contacts (unlike the GT1030 connector)

+----+ +----+ | === Make connectors look like they're
+----+ +----+ | link. "It's so the cable will mesh."

+----+ +----+
|XXXX| | | +
+----+ +----+

That's why you have to consult the specification in
print, to see what it really is.

Doing the visual check is good, if your cable has
the cross on it, and there's no hole for it. If the
cross is missing on the video card end, maybe you need
another new cable.

*******

HDMI to DVI is best converted as single link.
In such a case, the adapter is passive, and cheap.
They make those for $3.

To convert a modern standards version of HDMI to
Dual Link DVI would take an active, all digital chip
inside the dongle, which could use the +5V on the
HDMI connector.

I prefer to start with DisplayPort. It converts to
HDMI with just wires as far as I know. And there might
be more converters to choose from.

In this example, there is a DisplayPort to dual link DVI,
but the gender of the cable is male on the end. My video
card is female. Which means if I wanted to extend this
converter further, I'd need a different cable. It's really
not a good idea to have the cable integrated with the
dongle like this, as it causes problems getting the length
you need. A short dongle with female end, would work
better for me.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAFY67M22882

But at least that demonstrates that an active converter
will make Dual Link DVI.

With the HDMI equivalent, it's just too easy to be passing
the wires through and making it single-link electrically,
with a 1920x1200 limit. I trust a DisplayPort to do this
conversion, with more possibility of an "honest" outcome.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...12K-00AB-00039

If I have to do a conversion, I want a DisplayPort. And
that's what is on my video card right now, is DisplayPort
to VGA. And that's an active adapter and uses power from the
DisplayPort connector.

Some day, those adapters will no longer be for sale.
Just a warning... :-)

The year 2018 is when the active adapter business will be in
full swing, and the industry will be dead in a couple years.

Paul