Old August 23rd 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

Default Acer M1640 motherboard

Does any one know the identity or number of the motherboard in an Acer
Aspire M1640? Or better yet, a link to the manual for the motherboard?
The M1640 comes with hard/software support for RAID (NVIDIA). Hard
drives are really cheap so I was considering installing RAID 0 support
with two drives. Do they need to be identical? When my M1640 boots a
BIOS message "single channel mode" flashes. Presumably the board knows
about dual memory channel mode. How do I implement dual channel mode?
My M1640 comes with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 CPU clocked at 1.8
GHz. Before I purchased the PC, I read a review stating that this CPU
(a $79 chip) could be overclocked at up to 3.2 GHz. Now that I have
the unit I see that there is hardware and software support for
variable clock rate. I enabled this feature through Vista. Now when
idle, the clock runs at 66% or 1.2 GHz. If this unit could be
overclocked to 3.2 GHz, I think the variable clock technology would
scale it back to 1.2 Ghz when idle and gas it up to 3.2 GHz if/when
needed. This would save on power, heat generation and make the system
stable at overclocked speed. The system comes with a variable speed
CPU fan and the BIOS reports the CPU temperature and fan speed. When I
looked, the CPU temperature was reported to be 30 C. The BIOS had
features to enable warning and shutdown when the CPU temperature
reached 80 C. If the CPU of this inexpensive PC could be overclocked
it would be fantastic. Any comments and links to better information
would be helpful.