Old January 11th 05, 12:53 AM
Peter van der Goes

See answers (as best I can) in context...

"Midnight Moocher" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new PC with a AMD processor. I will be buying in
the next 6 days and need a little advice on the processor type I should
get. So I have three questions.

I've narrowed down my options to a socket 754 and the 939 (Winchester, I
believe).
My main concern is upgrade options in the future (whilst on a tight
budget).

1. Would I be correct in saying that the 754 socket won't be around for
long, and therefore it would better buying the slowest 939 I can get my
hands on (such as the 3000+ or possibly the 3200+)?

Socket 754 will be around for a while, as the budget platform with Sempron
CPU's. We've likely already seen the fastest Socket 754 A64 (3700+, IIRC).
BTW, the Socket 939 3200+ CPU is no slouch. Not knowing what you have now,
it's hard to predict your reaction.
Socket 939 is the present and future for A64. Check all the CPU's available
at:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=2&listStyle=2

Socket 939 has the 4000+ and the FX 55 available.

2. Would I also be correct in saying the 939 socket should be around long
enough to see around double the speed the 3000+ is capable of?

Double? I have my doubts there.

3. If I went with 754 socket, I would have to buy a new motherboard as
well as new processor to upgrade in the future to the 939 right?

Yes, you would.

Thanks.