Old August 1st 18, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default USB 3.0 hub question

Yes wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and
will use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there
any hubs being made that fit those conditions? Who is making
them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long.
That is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my
mobo does not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using
USB hubs that fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

FWIW, if you find a hub that you like "except" for the length of the
cable, there are USB3 "extension" cables (male/female) of whatever
length you need.

The OP never mentioned which USB hubs (or USB switches) he looked at
on Newegg's web site. There are plenty that do NOT have an attached
USB cable. In fact, those with an attached cable are usually meant
for portable use with laptops, netbooks, etc. Typically a desktop USB
hub/switch has no attached cable and you attach whatever cable you
want to connect it to the computer.

Not necessary. As noted, I already went through them looking for
length of the cord.

So why not look at the ones that do NOT have an attached (permanent)
cable to the USB hub? A permanent cable rather limits the flexibility
in where the hub can be positioned.

They were too short for my use. After I posted, I did check Best Buy
(not my first choice or even second choice of vendors) and found they
categorized their hubs by "stationary" and "portable (??). BB did
list a stationary hub by Insignia that commenters report it has a 3'
cord. Newegg does not carry that item. They did have a USB 2.0 hub.

Just because a hub lists an included cable does not mean the cable is
permanently attached to the hub. For example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01&ignorebbr=1

That comes with a 1-meter USB3 cable but it gets plugged in on the
backside of the hub.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0079080%208000

There are many there that have non-permanent (detachable) input USB3
cables; i.e., they have a USB3 port to connect via whatever cable you
want to use to the computer. You can get micro-B to type A USB cables
of varying lengths. For example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16812225081
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16812423106

I use double-stick velcro strips to affix the hub atop the computer case
rather than clutter my desk, so the cable only has to be long enough to
reach from the hub to the backpanel or daughtercard USB port.

Also remember that with a hub that it will share the bandwidth of just
the one parent USB port to which you connect the hub to the computer for
ALL of the hub's USB ports. Anything that generates lots of traffic,
like printing, file transfers to hard disks, especially with both on the
same hub, and a USB network adapter will generate high volumes of
traffic that will choke the bandwidth available for the remaining ports
on the hub. Ports on a hub do not communicate with each other; that is,
you cannot short-circuit the data path of, say, a file transfer between
two USB devices on the same hub.