Old August 1st 18, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default USB 3.0 hub question

VanguardLH wrote:

Yes wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and
will use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any
hubs being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

Get a hub that has no atached cable. Then attach a USB 3.0 cable of
the length you desire at a maximum of 3 meters for a passive USB3
cable; see

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Ca...ns-And-How-To-
Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

If you will be attaching more than one high-powered USB 3.0 device to
the hub, make sure to get a hub that is externally powered and whose
walwart is rated for N x 900 mA, where N is the number of ports on the
USB hub, so each USB 3 device can have full power from the hub. If
the hub has 4 ports, you want the walwart rated at 3.6 amps, or
higher, for its output load (to the USB hub). If one of the ports is
a high-amp charging port, you'll have to add its amperage (2.4 A)
into what the walwart must support for the total load of all ports in
use on the hub. I've seen 4-port USB 3 hubs externally powered with
a 2.4A charging port but the walwart was rated only for 2A which
isn't even enough for the 2.4A charging port.

Without external power to the hub, the hub will only get the 0.9A load
across ALL its ports from the USB 3 port into which you plug the hub.
That is, all USB devices (2.0 or 3.0) will have to share the single
0.9A maximum load from the one USB port on the computer.

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long.
That is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my
mobo does not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using
USB hubs that fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

To what would you be connecting the USB 3.0 hub if your computer
doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports? Mobos I've seen that had USB 3.0
support had a USB 3.0 header for support of front-panel USB ports.
Perhaps you have a mobo that is devoid of USB 3.0 support (it only
supports USB 2.0) and you installed a daughtercard to add USB 3.0
support. That daughtercard doesn't have a USB3 header or an internal
USB3 port?

The mobo has two USB 3.0 ports on the back. The mobo does not have the
onboard port required to connect more USB 3.0 ports as in one of those
USB hubs that mount in the pc chassis bay (either 3.5" or 5.5").
Because of the location of my pc, using the rear USB 3.0 ports is very
inconvenient. I've tried a USB 3.0 extender cable and had mixed
results. It works with my ext HD if the HD is plugged into a USB 2.0
port. OTOH, the drive is not recognized when the drive and extender
cable are plugged into the USB 3.0 port.

The Insignia hub I referenced in a reply earlier has a separate power
supply, and commenters raised the 3.5 amp issue you raised.

At the moment, I don't know how many devices I might use on it, much
less simultaneously. In practice, I'm trying to make sure that devices
I add in the future are USB 3.0.

John