Old August 1st 18, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default USB 3.0 hub question

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:23:28 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a USB 3.0 external hub for my pc. I'm
looking for one that has about an 18 to 20 inch cable length and will
use the older 3.0 USB connectors (Type A ???). Are there any hubs
being made that fit those conditions? Who is making them?

The ones I saw at newegg look to have cords about 6 inches long. That
is not long enough given where my pc is located. FWIW, my mobo does
not have the onboard UsB 3.0 connector to enable using USB hubs that
fit into 3.5" and 5.5 bays.

Thanks,

John

FWIW, if you find a hub that you like "except" for the length of the
cable, there are USB3 "extension" cables (male/female) of whatever
length you need.

The OP never mentioned which USB hubs (or USB switches) he looked at on
Newegg's web site. There are plenty that do NOT have an attached USB
cable. In fact, those with an attached cable are usually meant for
portable use with laptops, netbooks, etc. Typically a desktop USB
hub/switch has no attached cable and you attach whatever cable you want
to connect it to the computer.