Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 7.85 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ben Myers
Forum: Dell Computers October 12th 08, 02:45 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Ben Myers
Inspiron 9200 screen problem

I suggest going to the Dell web site, entering the Dell service tag for warranty
information then clicking on the tab that says "Original Configuration". You
will see the complete bill of materials...
Forum: Dell Computers October 12th 08, 02:40 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Ben Myers
Potentially Faulty GPU in my new Dell

You need to look at the specs and the service manual for the XPS 1530. Some
Dell laptop models have a separate graphics card that is easy to replace.
Others, like the Latitude D800 I worked on...
Forum: Dell Computers October 11th 08, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 28
Posted By Ben Myers
'True' vs. 'Pseudo' Quad Core

There is a serious amount of discussion in the software developer trade rags
about programming for multi-core systems. Intel, of course, is leading the way
by making multi-core software development...
Forum: Dell Computers October 11th 08, 04:16 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 28
Posted By Ben Myers
'True' vs. 'Pseudo' Quad Core

FWIW, the Intel Atom 330 CPU is dual-core with hyperthreading, so Windows has 4
threads going. At 1.6GHz per core, the Atom 330 is a mighty mite. (Not paid
for by Intel, who certainly would approve...
Forum: Dell Computers October 11th 08, 05:56 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ben Myers
Are these decent deals

At the time of the acquistion, a Seagate press release stated that the Maxtor
brand name and current technology would be retained, and that the Maxtor line
would be positioned as a consumer product. ...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 04:19 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Ben Myers
Possible good Dell customer service

Client brought a D820 today for me to handle. Obviously bad nVidia graphics.
Called Dell and they have dispatched a replacement D820 mobo. They are supposed
to contact client on Monday to arrange...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 04:16 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Ben Myers
Dell order delayed... twice

The company assembling the computers for Dell bought a lot of sub-prime mortgage
securities and is now in a cash flow crunch? Michael Dell foolishly bought
sub-prime paper?

I can anticipate more...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 04:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Ben Myers
Dimension 3000 and 2400--what is the difference?

Dell did not go crazy on the Optiplexes with all the options typically found in
the Dimension product line. After all, these are business computers. Actually,
it looks like the 160L and 170L were...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 04:08 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 28
Posted By Ben Myers
XPS410 -- suddenly I can't see

Not just for laughs, do you have a live Linux distro to try? They make for nice
overall diagnostic tests... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:50 GMT, "Tom Scales" ...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 04:01 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ben Myers
Are these decent deals

The 4GB flash drive is a good deal. Even better, Staples has Sandisk 8GB flash
drives for under $30. I got myself two of them at a slightly lower sale price.

I would not hit a dog in the ass with...
Forum: Dell Computers October 10th 08, 05:54 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 28
Posted By Ben Myers
XPS410 -- suddenly I can't see

The XPS410 has an on-board NIC. I sort of doubt that Tom is so skilled with
soldering and desoldering equipment that he would hazard the task of swapping
on-board NIC chips. ;)

I have to chalk...
Forum: Dell Computers October 9th 08, 04:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Ben Myers
bent pins

Sometimes needlenose pliers are not needley enough to reach the bent pins
without bending some others. I often use a very small flat-bladed screwdriver
for pin straightening jobs. After...
Forum: Dell Computers October 9th 08, 06:01 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Ben Myers
Tight Screws

Nope! Google.

Toothpicks do come in handy for cleaning all the little grooves in a laptop
chassis... Ben Myers

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:57:47 -0500, RnR wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct...
Forum: Dell Computers October 9th 08, 03:16 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Ben Myers
Tight Screws

You forgot bubble gum, rubber bands, paper clips and toothpicks!

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:08:48 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

There I go...
Forum: Dell Computers October 8th 08, 02:03 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Ben Myers
Can't play certain videos

"real thing"? Are you sure she's real? Can't see the invisible thin white
strings above her? "Thing" I'll buy. Miss Congeniality meets world politics. A
nice movie script, but we are watching the...
Forum: Dell Computers October 8th 08, 01:58 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Ben Myers
Dimension 3000 and 2400--what is the difference?

The 2400 has a side panel with a curve in its front edge (matching curve in
chassis) and an 845 chipset supporting 400 and 533MHz FSB.

The 3000 has a rectangular side panel and an 865 chipset...
Forum: Dell Computers October 7th 08, 05:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Ben Myers
Tight Screws

Sam Molex invented them?? Actually, the advent of SATA drives means that the
power and data cables are easier to remove than stinking 4-pin Molex that has
been around forever, and, for that matter,...
Forum: Dell Computers October 7th 08, 03:49 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Ben Myers
Can't play certain videos

Is Michael Dell a Republican or Democrat? Is Billl Gates a Republican or
Democrat? Depends on which spoof one finds most critical of the person being
spoofed. Maybe there is a political DLL in the...
Forum: Dell Computers October 7th 08, 03:46 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Ben Myers
Tight Screws

Dell, along with other brands, uses SOMETHING on its laptop screws to get them
to seat perfectly and hold tightly in place. Often, when I remove a screw,
there is a greenish residue on the screw...
Forum: Dell Computers October 7th 08, 03:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Ben Myers
Tight Screws

Agree that Torx is a lot better than Phillips. But it was no fun at all to
confront a Compaq full of Torx many years ago. I have since overcome the Torx
obstacle with a very nice set of Torx,...
Forum: Dell Computers October 6th 08, 02:41 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ben Myers
DELL Precision 410 Desktop - power on / of problem

The system is probably too old to still be under Dell waranty unless it is part
of a long-term corporate or government contract. Even so, I would send the few
Euros needed to get a new C2032...
Forum: Dell Computers October 5th 08, 09:10 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Ben Myers
Dell fan speed control

The tipoff here in recent (i.e. Pentium 4) years has been the presence of an
sticker with an Intel AA "number" on it. Six digits, a hyphen, and 3 more
digits. Except that the high order digit has...
Forum: Dell Computers October 5th 08, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By Ben Myers
cdrw issue?

Okay, then. Download and install Dell DLA 4.95 A02 from the Dell web site. It
is compatible with XP. You are lucky not to be using Vista.

Here is the URL, but you may find it easier to search it...
Forum: Dell Computers October 5th 08, 03:29 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By Ben Myers
Dell Inspiron 1300

Agreed. Just sold one in pieces. Checked the specs and the service manual on
the Dell support page... Ben Myers

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 18:14:26 -0400, Pen wrote:

PeppersMum...
Forum: Dell Computers October 4th 08, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Ben Myers
Dell fan speed control

William,

Your question was, is, and will be actually a 2-part question. Dell used/uses a
lot of Intel-designed motherboards. In the past, many of them have actually
been identical to Intel's own...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500