Showing results 1 to 25 of 41
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Petrus Tax
Forum: General November 5th 11, 08:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Petrus Tax
Question

Hello Philo,

thank you for your suggestion. I didn't know this. Good point!

Petrus

"philo" wrote in message
On 11/04/2011 01:08 PM, Petrus...
Forum: General November 4th 11, 07:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Petrus Tax
Question

Thank you very much, Paul, for you - as usual - informative reply. I
certainly will try out SequoiaView and see what I find out.
Since I am of Dutch descent, I like to explain to you that the word...
Forum: General November 3rd 11, 01:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Petrus Tax
Question

Hello,

I fix, upgrade, clean, defrag, etc. computers (most of them come with XP)
donated to a Sharing Center in my church. These are then given away for free
to people who need them.
Usually I...
Forum: General September 25th 11, 08:26 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 25
Posted By Petrus Tax
eMachine won't keep time

Hello,
just by coincidence I fixed a Dell Dimension 2350 computer, which didn't
keep time although I had put in a new battery, by downloading a BIOS update
from Dell.
HTH (Hope This Helps or Happy...
Forum: General July 4th 11, 01:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Petrus Tax
XP setup

Hello:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them out and report back.
During the initial case of cycling I never got to the screen with the icons.
After reformatting the HD, Windows...
Forum: General July 2nd 11, 11:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Petrus Tax
XP setup

Hello:

I am trying to get an older Compaq computer going again for a friend with
few needs (word processing, Internet). It kept cycling off and on from and
to the XP screen. I reformatted the HD,...
Forum: Printers May 13th 11, 12:12 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 2
Posted By Petrus Tax
Install By Codes on Inkjet Cartridge Bag

Hello:

Interesting question. It may well be that the last number indicates the week
(23)
of the year (10 = 2010) as the date of the package or packaging.

I conclude this from similar date numbers...
Forum: General April 9th 11, 03:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Petrus Tax
dim screen on Thinkpad R31

Hello,

it took me some time, but I was able to reset the CMOS by removing the (new)
battery for 45 minutes. Apparently, I had removed it originally for a too
short time.
The screen is fine again;...
Forum: General April 2nd 11, 09:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Petrus Tax
dim screen on Thinkpad R31

Hello Keiron,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. Where can I find the CMOS jumper
in this laptop?

Many thanks.

Petrus
Forum: General April 2nd 11, 09:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Petrus Tax
dim screen on Thinkpad R31

"Keiron" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:06:03 -0400, Petrus Tax wrote:

Hello,

I carefully replaced the CMOS battery...
Forum: General April 2nd 11, 08:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Petrus Tax
dim screen on Thinkpad R31

Hello,

I carefully replaced the CMOS battery on my Thinkpad R31 laptop with XP, but
the screen appears very dim so that it is almost unreadable. I tried Fn +
Home/End, but no change whether one is...
Forum: General March 31st 11, 01:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Petrus Tax
Two OS on boot-up

Good morning,

many thanks for the suggestions from you, Bert Hyman and "Nachtwacht"!
Bert's solution was right on, but I made a note also of "Nachtwacht"'s
information. My machine now boots...
Forum: General March 30th 11, 09:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Petrus Tax
Two OS on boot-up

Hello,

Recently I installed XP Pro after having reformatted the HD (which before
carried XP Home Edition). Now I get on boot-up both OS announced, XP Pro in
the first line, XP Home Edition in the...
Forum: General February 26th 11, 04:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Petrus Tax
Diminished icons on screen

Hello:

A friend of mine, who is just trying to get acquainted with his computer,
managed to get all the XP desktop icons into the left upper quarter of the
screen so that they are now very small...
Forum: General February 23rd 11, 06:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Petrus Tax
xp professional doesn't shut off on Dell PC

Hello GLowingBlueMist and Paul,

many thanks for your informative replies, which I will print out for later
reference. I check out, repair (if possible) and upgrade computers which are
being...
Forum: General February 21st 11, 05:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Petrus Tax
xp professional doesn't shut off on Dell PC

Hello Grinder and GlowingBlueMist:

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Not finding anything visibly wrong
with the MoBo, I checked the "add or remove programs" in Control Panel and
found that...
Forum: General February 20th 11, 12:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Petrus Tax
xp professional doesn't shut off on Dell PC

Hello,

Somebody gave me a Dell Optiplex GX 270 PC without a HD. I added a HD and
installed: XP Pro + SP3 on it. Unfortunately, the PC doesn't shut off
automatically, as it should - also not after...
Forum: General June 16th 10, 12:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Petrus Tax
CD-ROM/HD conflict

Hello,
a friend of mine has a Gateway PC with Windows XP on it. When he connects
his backup external HD (USB), after some time the CD drive (D) stops working
and disappears from "my...
Forum: General March 24th 10, 02:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Petrus Tax
My daugther's hard disk become unallocated !

Hello:
This may be a more or less mechanical issue: jumper settings? cables tight?
correct cables?
HTH and good luck!
Petrus

"Sydney" wrote in message...
Forum: General March 24th 10, 02:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Petrus Tax
Pop-up: Windows installer

Hello:

Thank you, philo and VanguardLH for your suggestions. I considered both but
felt somewhat at a loss with msconfig on the one hand, hesitated to put
another OS on the computer because some...
Forum: General March 22nd 10, 11:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Petrus Tax
Pop-up: Windows installer

Hello:
I got another donated computer to check out and fix, and then pass on to
somebody who needs one. It is a Dell Dimension 8100. It works fine now,
except that after booting-up each time a...
Forum: General March 18th 10, 07:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Petrus Tax
Shutting computer off

Hello kony,

many thanks for your pronto reply. Holding the "On" button for several
seconds did the trick. I must still be too impatient at my ripe age! :)

Petrus

"kony" wrote in...
Forum: General March 18th 10, 04:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Petrus Tax
Shutting computer off

Greetings!
Somebody gave me an older computer with a brandless Mobo, which I would like
to pass on to somebody who needs one. It works fine under Windows 2000
Professional, except that it doesn't...
Forum: Printers March 17th 10, 01:25 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 5
Posted By Petrus Tax
HP Deskjet 1120C : head alignment

"Bernard" wrote in message
Le Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:21:57 +0000, Bernard a écrit :

Le Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:21:41...
Forum: General March 5th 10, 02:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Petrus Tax
Soyo mobo doesn't shut off, but reboots after "shut off" command.

Thank you, Paul, for your, as always, detailed and informative response! It
was sent at the same time as my thanks to Jan Alter, whose advice on the
BIOS was right on and enabled me to repair the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 41