Showing results 1 to 25 of 73
Search took 3.21 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nik Simpson
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 13th 07, 11:50 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Nik Simpson
Vista Installation with several HDD installed

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Jeff wrote:
Question for the experts,

Can Vista be installed on a new drive while several other drives are
already connected or...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 8th 07, 06:12 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Nik Simpson
corrupt raid 5, repair/recreate raid?

OTWarrior via HWKB.com wrote:

And surely the Raid is more like a list of where parts of files are held, so
you could recreate it (almost). There must be some kind of utility out there
to...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 8th 07, 11:58 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Nik Simpson
corrupt raid 5, repair/recreate raid?

OTWarrior via HWKB.com wrote:
I have 3 hard disks in a raid 5 and yesterday, one of the disk "failed". So I
selected the option to repair the raid on the drive (which has worked before),
and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 6th 07, 07:57 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Nik Simpson
European Seagate Freeagent - how to safely use in N.A.?

wrote:
Hello,

I purchased a Seagate Freeagent Desktop in Europe (Sweden), a 250 gb,
and I would
like to safely access the data already stored on the drive in...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 26th 07, 03:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By Nik Simpson
Intel SATA RAID question

For reasons we won't go into :-( I have to replace the motherboard in
one of my PCs. The system has four SATA drives in a pair of mirros using
the onboard Intel SATA RAID (ICH7) implementation....
Forum: Storage & Hardrives July 21st 07, 06:44 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By Nik Simpson
HDD hardware platform question

Peter wrote:
Hi

I might have had too much sun today, so please bear with me...

As I understand it there are presently two major hard disk interfaces
on the market; SATA and SCSI; and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 20th 07, 01:44 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

ikzienie****hierstaat wrote:
I am not an expert on this stuff. Would this solve the problem. If so where
can I find it (to download).

Just a wild guess, but I'm assuming that you are...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 18th 07, 01:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Nik Simpson wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously ikzienie****hierstaat wrote:
thnx, would upgrading to a higher...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 17th 07, 07:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously ikzienie****hierstaat wrote:
thnx, would upgrading to a higher throuput wireless network help, or would
you not recomend netdisk in wireless...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 17th 07, 01:36 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

ikzienie****hierstaat wrote:
thnx, would upgrading to a higher throuput wireless network help, or would
you not recomend netdisk in wireless networks at all?

Can't hurt, but not guaranteed to...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 16th 07, 11:47 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By Nik Simpson
Installing Vista SATA Drive problem

Nick Le Lievre wrote:

there is a c:\ removable d:\DVD drive and an X:\Boot which has a number
of files on it like program files and users this makes me think that
this is the hard drive but...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 14th 07, 01:25 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

Arno Wagner wrote:

My experience with LPX on a media server that I have is that it's very
susceptible to timeouts and congestion, on a clean Ethernet segment it
works just fine. My bet...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 14th 07, 01:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
lpx
Posted By Nik Simpson
lpx

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously ikzienie****hierstaat wrote:
I have a sitecom wireless router (WL-018). I have purchased a netdisk
(nexstar LS) with ximeta software.
With...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives July 12th 07, 11:49 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By Nik Simpson
Can we monitor the Battery Backup of a Raid Controller?

wrote:
Can we get information of the Battery attached to a Raid Controller,
as we do to the Battery of a Laptop? If we can, how to?

There's no standard, so it will depend...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives July 11th 07, 01:47 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Nik Simpson
NDMP Question

Faeandar wrote:

Given that NDMP is not a format, (2) would be specific to the native
format of the backup server (like gnutar in the case of Veritas). The
NDMP stream is ripped apart if it...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives July 11th 07, 12:24 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Nik Simpson
NDMP Question

Faeandar wrote:

I am skeptical about NDMP actually defining the format, from
everything I've ever heard and seen it's simply a command protocol,
not even a transport.

Thanks, I was a...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives July 10th 07, 10:33 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Nik Simpson
NDMP Question

From the way I read the spec for NDMP it defines a method for writing
data to tape, not just moving data from tthe NAS too a backup
application. Do backup vendors actually write NDMP daata streams...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 07, 12:02 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By Nik Simpson
Where are the Terabyte hard drive?

wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:06:27 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

timeOday wrote:

Kelvin wrote:
Where are...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 30th 07, 07:46 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Nik Simpson
1U SATA / SAS RAID to eSATA?

Ralf Gross wrote:
Will wrote:
Does any vendor make a 1U or 2U SATA / SAS RAID enclosure that uplinks to
the host by a simple eSATA connection (i.e., RAID on the enclosure, not RAID
on the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 21st 07, 08:52 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Nik Simpson
can windows 2000 read XP ntfs partitions?

Eric Gisin wrote:

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 21st 07, 11:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Nik Simpson
can windows 2000 read XP ntfs partitions?

Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access to
data saved on the drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 19th 07, 10:44 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Nik Simpson
SAS / SATA RAID to Fibre?

Will wrote:
"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Well, some aspects of fibre commoditized. You can certainly get the 1
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 19th 07, 04:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Nik Simpson
Vista & External Hard Drive - Not Recognized

Steve-Sanders via HWKB.com wrote:
Alexander,

Do you mean that maybe the only fix for this is by waiting for (a future)
Windows update . . . this problem may be resolved by MS? Or by...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 19th 07, 11:42 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Nik Simpson
SAS / SATA RAID to Fibre?

Will wrote:
"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Will wrote:
And experience shows it does commoditize given...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 19th 07, 01:43 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Nik Simpson
SAS / SATA RAID to Fibre?

Will wrote:
And experience shows it does commoditize given time.

Your experience with Fibre Channel must be limited ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Showing results 1 to 25 of 73